All of My Black Dog's volunteers have their own experiences of mental health struggles. They can offer an empathetic ear for someone who really needs their help.
Volunteer with us
`My Black Dog volunteers are real people, with real experiences, talking to our guests in real time. We are a listening ear and aim to emphasise and connect with people and their experiences of mental health.
Volunteers support our guests through web-chats using their own computer from the comfort of their own home. Shifts are 2-3 hours per week, with volunteers being supported by our My Black Dog team.
We are looking for volunteers for have experience their own journey with their mental health and who are in a strong position to support others. We ask that our volunteers:
- Are strongly committed to helping others
- Have experienced mental health issues in order to relate to those seeking help
- Be willing to talk about your own experiences
- Are 18+ years old
- Can volunteers 2-3 hours a week from home
Talking about your struggles is hard, and we therefore only accept volunteers who can be candid and open up to guests about their experiences.
This isn't for everyone, so we urge you to think carefully about volunteering. Don't feel bad if you can't, like I said, talking about this is tough, we totally get it.
If you are interested in volunteering, we would welcome your application to join the My Black Dog pack. Please look at the Frequently Asked Questions section below to find out more information and click the Apply Now button below.
Someone to talk to - FAQs
Where do I volunteer from?
- You can volunteer from the comfort of your own home, supported by the My Black Dog team virtually.
What technology is required to volunteer?
- All you need is a phone, a computer/tablet and a wifi connection and you are good to go.
Is there a minimum age to volunteer?
- Volunteers must be 18+ in order to join the My Black Dog pack
What does the weekly time commitment look like?
- Volunteering shifts are normally 2-3 hours long and the service is open evenings and weekend.
What does the recruitment process look like?
- If you're interested in joining the pack, fill in our application form below, and a member of the team will be in touch. Normally the first stage is an informal chat so we get to know you and explain how volunteering works. The on-boarding process involves an online induction session, DBS check and two references before getting started.
What training will I get?
- Our online induction sessions shows you how to use the software, what a web-chat may look like and tips and tricks for volunteering in order to prepare you for your first shift.
What support will I get whilst volunteering?
- Webchats about mental health can be daunting, so you will have access to a shift supervisor for every shift, who is there is support you and offer guidance. Some of our experienced volunteers are mentors as well who are here to support and offer practical advice, so you're never by yourself.
I have a full time job/other commitments during the day, can I still volunteer?
- Of course! Most evenings My Black Dog is online 5-10pm, Saturdays 10-3pm and Sundays 7-10pm so there are shift times to suit all availability.
I have more questions that aren't covered here
- We are an open book and happy to talk through any queries you have. Please contact email@example.com for any further advice and support.